June 19-25, 2020

In honor of Juneteenth 2020, I've committed to educating myself on systemic racism, discrimination, and bias. Every day from June 19, 2020 to June 18, 2021, I will read an article or book chapter, listen to a podcast, watch a movie or documentary, view a webinar, or do something substantive to educate myself in these areas. As part of that commitment, I will post to this blog each Friday with a list of what I've done over the past week as well as any pertinent thoughts or reflections.

Today's post covers the week of June 19-25, 2020.

This is a 36-minute episode from the NPR podcast Hidden Brain that discusses community bias and the Implicit Bias Test. I'm a subscriber to the Hidden Brain podcast, so this episode naturally came up on my feed.

Paul Kivel writes this short paper (2-3 minute read) on the real costs of systemic racism to white people. I came across this article from a toolkit distributed by Women Leaders in College Sports.

In typical Harvard Business Review fashion, this article give specific recommendations to companies about how they can drive action in their organizations. JP Abercrumbie recommended this article, which takes 3-5 minutes to read.

This is a fantastic, 100 minute documentary on mass incarceration and its origins in slavery. I first heard of the film from Nicki Moore, Director of Athletics at Colgate.

I came across this episode from the NPR podcast Code Switch while doing some research on the topic of systemic racism. The hosts discuss why this moment in time may be different for white people to recognize and support social justice causes.


These two episodes were recommended by Rice graduate and student-athlete Michelle Fokam. They come from the podcast The Relay, which is associated with Houston-based Project Curate. Ideas are exchanged about what it means to stand in solidarity (or co-conspire) with someone and whether friendship is a necessary component of being allied.

Comments

Popular Posts